It belongs to the genre of iatrosophia, practical handbooks dating mainly to the 17th to 19th centuries which compiled healing wisdom, along with snippets of agricultural, meteorological and veterinary advice, and admixtures of religion, astrology and magic. Both fascinating and of critical importance, iatrosophia allow glimpses of classical and Byzantine medical sources and illustrate the vitality and resilience of Greek traditional medical and botanical knowledge.
From years spent exploring local healing customs in Crete's Amari region, Patricia Clark is able to present Theodorakis' iatrosophion against a rich historical, geographical and social background. Introductory essays and explanatory notes to the translation give context to the iatrosophion and provide the specialized information necessary for a good understanding of the text. The abundant materia medica of the notebook is treated in a substantial appendix.
Each animal, mineral, plant or product is provided with an overview of its various names through the millennia.
Such entries are not only a key to understanding the Greek medical legacy, but also a vivid illustration of its usage from antiquity to the present day. Read more Read less. Review 'This is a valuable and important work of scholarship that looks back to Greek medicine of earlier centuries, as well as subsequent Turkish and Italian influences.
- Violin Sonata No. 2, Movement 4 - Piano Score.
- Downstream: A History and Celebration of Swimming the River Thames.
- The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, Book 3).
No customer reviews. Share your thoughts with other customers. Write a customer review.
- A Cretan Healer's Handbook in the Byzantine Tradition: Text, Translation and Commentary;
- Narrative and Representation in the Poetry of Wallace Stevens: A Tune Beyond Us, Yet Ourselves.
- Greek manuscripts at the Wellcome Library: a new catalogue!
- Ubuy Lebanon Online Shopping For byzantine in Affordable Prices.?
- Power Trade-offs and Low Power in Analog CMOS ICs (THE KLUWER INTERNATIONAL SERIES IN ENGINEERING AND (The Springer International Series in Engineering and Computer Science).
- Handbook of Library Training Practice and Development, Volume III;
- Transmission and Transformation of Knowledge!
A Darkened House. The disease killed 20, people and its psychological effects were enormous.
[PDF] A Cretan Healer's Handbook in the Byzantine Tradition: Text Translation and Commentary
Cholera unsettled governments, undermined the A Dictionary of the History of Medicine. It is a monumental work of scholarship totaling some double-column pages with a large number of rare and A Family History of Illness. Do you have a family history of illness??? A Global History of Medicine. Exploring changing patterns of disease and different A Historical Dictionary of Psychiatry. It covers the subject from autism to Vienna, and includes the key concepts, individuals, places, and institutions that have shaped the evolution of psychiatry and the neurosciences.
Greek manuscripts at the Wellcome Library: a new catalogue | Wellcome Library
A History of Dentistry in Canada. He describes the A History of Global Health. Interventions into the Lives of Other Peoples. Given the enormous scale and complexity of these lifesaving operations, why do millions of people in low-income.
A History of Haematology. Herodotus of Halicarnassus, whose writings years before the A History of Intelligence and 'Intellectual Disability'. Goodey's paradigm-shifting study traces the rich interplay between labelled A History of Medicine. Invaluable to instructors promoting the history of.